Friday, March 29, 2019

The Swan

03-28-19-swan
pencil, ink
The other day, I had been drawing for a while and completed a fastidious view of the willow tree on the downstream side of the bridge. So I walked across the road to the park and saw a swan patrolling the pool above the dam. Great! I'll draw that fellow. Animals have been scarce this winter and swans are nice to look at. Of course, as soon as I get out my ink and open my sketchbook, the swan has had enough and thunders upriver far away.  So this picture was made from memory as the bird was getting away and landing about two hundred yards away. I like it. It's much better than if it had posed for me. But is it a drawing of a swan? Or the drawing of a memory of a swan? --Or both?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…