Thursday, October 1, 2026

The South Natick Dam (removal 06)

The slow maturation of the pioneer plants on the river's new floodplains and now the rains that have blanketed Natick for the last week have given many a vision of what the Charles River might look like since the spillway has been removed. Deer, geese and herons are predictably present. I've seen eagles and hawks flying nearby. Sparrows and wrens are inhabiting the cattails. And, the park has been very quiet and I haven't seen many folks about gawking at the altered scenery. I do see their comments (mostly negative) on facebook. But I wonder if people have moved on from the drama of demolition.  I'm still processing of course but mostly in visual terms. I'm glad for the river and its advocates but I miss my usual motifs. New ones are emerging though.

09-22-26-spillway
09-23-26-island
09-24-26-island
09-25-26-deer

09-28-26-geese
09-30-26-river





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…