Sunday, May 1, 2011

Some Birds


a North American Robin (Turdus migratorius)
I walked around Lake Waban early yesterday morning and I found some birds to draw. Here's a Robin. Don't you love its Latin name? I just did a quick sketch before he flew off but I was able to finish the drawing a few minutes later at the Starbucks in Wellesley.


The Double-Crested Cormorant (Phalocrocorax auritus)
two cormorants at Lake Waban
Cormorants hold still for long periods of time and are easy to draw. This submerged tree trunk is a favorite perch as they wait for their feathers to dry. Here's a bit more info on this fascinating bird.

These drawings were made in a hard bound sketchbook with a Derwent carbon pencil and a soft ivory colored paper. This paper likes soft pencils and the books fold open and stay flat. Interesting. I alternate books; some are very sympathetic, others are cold and resistant. Since I often depend on my materials to "tell me what to do" this diversity is artistically stimulating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…