Thursday, October 19, 2017

Stop!

Duck
ink, charcoal
10-18-2017

Knowing when to stop is probably the most important skill that an artist possesses. Sometimes I have it but most often I'm skidding around unaware and I keep adding things to the drawing.

As soon as I added the little marks on the left side of the duck I regretted what I had done. It was too much. I think without them you could still tell that it was a duck, swimming away on a foggy morning. You can see that right?

But I drew those cute little marks to indicate the feathers --just a little naïve calligraphic noise. Just having fun --but they are unnecessary.
But, this is a drawing and it is all about searching, the struggle, showing the scars, etc.

Today, I drew a goose. No struggle here.

Goose
ink, charcoal
10/19/2017



2 comments:

  1. I know that so well. It happens to me every time. But then I also like these drawings with a mistake. More than all these perfect, viruosic drawings I see at other places. One of my teachers once said: Dont photograph with your pencil. And this duck with the little marks on the left side, swimming away on a foggy morning I like very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mistakes are our dance partner in life. Thank you Klaus!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you…