Sunday, October 21, 2018

Having Permission

10-19-18-ducks
ink, charcoal
04-26-17a
mixed media, ink

When I judge the drawings I make, a resounding permission comes from having fortunately viewed two objects in the collection of the Museum of Fine Arts-Boston during the past several years. First and foremost is a painting by Soga ShĂ´haku entitled "The Four Sages of Mount Shang."

the left panel depicting an emissary from the emperor riding a donkey
(MFA link)
In the right hand screen, the four sages, camped out on the mountain make themselves at home in their self-imposed exile. (MFA link)
I made a quick sketch of the emissary last December
The second object is a Mexican writing desk. This is a detail view of one of the doors opened to reveal the "japonisme" style decoration inside. I love the exuberant and primitive confidence of these drawings. Please! look here at the MFA object page for more details.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…