Tuesday, February 5, 2019

State of the Union

It's funny how Nature is always in a state of changing state. The river fills up floods and then the water level goes back down —sooner or later. Icicles form and then they melt. Animals come and go. Artists come and go. Has anyone else been in love as much as I with this little spot?

In my heart of hearts, I have to presume, yes, someone has been as in love as I am. There's a plaque on the bridge that commemorates the particular Hunnewell family members that donated the land for the park. I guess they saw some need. Saw some promise in the enterprise and felt some love.

Love of place, in whatever form that takes, repays a debt to those who walked the ground before us. We walk on top of their bones. We plant our temporary banner in their soil and claim an inheritance that will also sift through our grasping fingers.

02-03-19-island02
ink, charcoal
02-03-19-ice
charcoal, ink

1 comment:

  1. Your texts always leave a deep impression on me. And that's the same with your drawings. With your work one can see, that drawings are not just a decorative wall decoration, but a reflection, relive, feel what life is actually, and who we ourselves are. Thank you. With us, in our town, there will be spring weather already this week. I go more often in our little garden and I wish to sit there in my garden with a pencil and paper, just as you sit in your place by the river, drawing, seeing, feeling und listen to almost everthing. But something, somebody always leads me somewhere else. "Do not get bogged down!" Goethe once said to Eckermann. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you…