Saturday, January 12, 2019

Inspector Gadget

01-06-19
If you're an artist, do yourself a favor and make it easy to get immediately to work. Streamline and prioritize your tools and support. In my startlingly orange gloved hand I hold two frozen inky paintbrushes, a charcoal pencil and a waxy china marker. I used them all as I made this drawing of some geese and reflections of a willow tree.

After thinking a moment, we will all agree that it's a circuitous process getting impressions and thoughts from your eyes and brain down onto a piece of paper (or whatever) that exists outside of your body. Your hands are where the handoff occurs from your firefly thoughts to a tangible crawling residue that others can behold and take up and appreciate. That's what art making is: a process of transference from the cerebral to the palpable.

But you know all this so, get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you…